1. Skip to Menu
  2. Skip to Content
  3. Skip to Footer

T Cell Receptor Gene Rearrangement

T lymphocytes recognize and respond to foreign antigens by means of specific T cell receptors (TcR). The human genome does not contain enough unique DNA sequences to code for the vast repertoire of receptors needed to recognize all of the foreign antigens a person is exposed to during their lifetime. To overcome this limitation, TcR genes undergo a complex series of DNA rearrangements to produce more than one billion unique receptors.

Two types of TcR have been identified. The alpha-beta receptor is expressed on 95% of mature T cells, whereas the remaining 5% of T cells express a gamma-delta receptor. TcR beta and gamma genes are located on chromosome 7 and TcR alpha and delta genes are located on chromosome 14. Beta genes rearrange in the early thymocyte of stage of T cell development. Alpha chains rearrange a little later during the common thymocyte stage. Both rearrangements occur before the CD3-TcR complex is expressed on the cell surface.

A leukemia or lymphoma is derived from clonal expansion of a single abnormal cell. All malignant cells contain an identical gene rearrangement pattern that is easily identifiable by Southern blot analysis. In contrast, a polyclonal proliferation of lymphocytes is due to division of millions of different B and T cells, each containing a different set of gene rearrangements. No single gene rearrangement predominates and none are detectable by Southern blot. A clone must comprise at least 5% of the total number of lymphocytes to be detected. Detection of a TcR gene rearrangement indicates that a monoclonal population of T cells is present.

The percentage of difficult to classify T cell lineage disorders is higher than B cell disorders. Often, T cell disorders cannot be definitively diagnosed by morphology and flow cytometry. T lineage disorders lack a phenotypic marker of clonality like the kappa and lambda light chain restriction in B lineage disorders. Sometimes T cell clonality can be inferred when the lymphocytes express a predominance of CD4 or CD8 antigens. Molecular analysis of the beta TcR gene rearrangements provides the most definitive assessment of T cell clonality. TcR gene rearrangements are useful in the diagnosis of T cell malignancies such as T cell ALL and lymphoblastic lymphoma, mycosis fungoides, Sezary syndrome, T cell PLL/CLL, and adult T cell leukemia. A pathologist interprets the results.

Specimen requirement is:

  • Two 7 mL lavender top (EDTA) tubes of blood
  • One 7 mL lavender top tube of bone marrow
  • 50 mL of body fluid
  • 5x5x5 mm piece of tissue

Blood and bone marrow should be transported to the laboratory at room temperature. Tissue should be shipped in dry ice.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Stay Informed

Amazon Book

Our Sponsors

Login Form

Mobile Applications

iPad mini Horz Vert 300w

Get it for: iPhoneiPad

ClinLab Navigator Information

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
© 2015 ClinLab Navigator, LLC.