1. Skip to Menu
  2. Skip to Content
  3. Skip to Footer

NTx Telopeptide

Bone remodeling allows for bone growth, bone repair and www.fac.unb.br elimination of microfractures. Osteoclasts resorb old bone, while osteoblasts synthesize new protein, known as osteoid. Within several months, osteoid becomes calcified. After the buying viagra from canada age of 40 years, bone destruction begins to exceed formation, leading to osteoporosis. For every 10% of bone that is lost, the risk of fracture doubles.

The medications most commonly used to treat osteoporosis are estrogen, calcitonin and biphosphonates (etidronate, alendronate, risedronate). Their mechanism of action is to inhibit osteoclastic activity and decrease bone resorption. Treatment with biphosphonates must be continuously monitored because overdosage can eventually weaken bone.

More than 90% of the osteoid matrix of bone consists of soft levitra type I collagen. Noncollagenous proteins, such as osteocalcin, comprise the remaining 10%. Type 1 collagen is buying cialis online canada synthesized as procollagen precursor molecules. Prior to www.yamarchno.org insertion into the osteoid matrix, the N and C terminal peptides of procollagen are cleaved and released into the circulation.The N terminal peptide is commonly referred to as NTx telopeptide and is one of the most sensitive indicators of bone resorption.

Following initiation of treatment, bone resorption markers can detect early changes much sooner than bone mass density measurements. NTx levels undergo significant change by 3 months, while changes in spinal bone mass density are noticeable only after 24 months.

A baseline NTx level should be measured in all patients before beginning anti-resorptive therapy. In general, biphosphonates are administered until NTx levels fall to 50% of baseline. They are then discontinued and NTx concentration is measured every 3 months. Treatment is reinstated when the level returns to baseline.

Because levels fluctuate significantly (~30%) during the day, a 24 hour urine collection is optimal.However, random samples are also accepted.

Reference range:

Male

21 – 66 nmol bone collagen Equivalents/mmol creatinine

Female

19 – 63 nmol bone collagen equivalents/mmol creatinine

Other Articles of Interest
  • About Us...
    Laboratory testing affects persons in every stage of life.  Everyone will have numerous laborat...
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Stay Informed

Amazon Book

Our Sponsors

Login Form

Mobile Applications

iPad mini Horz Vert 300w

Get it for: iPhoneiPad

ClinLab Navigator Information

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
© 2012 ClinLab Navigator, LLC.